How to get to an Evacuation Center
- Personal transportation.
- Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) service:
- SCAT's modified Sunday bus route.
- Get to a transportation rally point.
- For those who cannot otherwise be transported by family, friends or neighbors, Sarasota County will provide last-resort bus transportation for you and your pets (along with a limited amount of supplies) to and from a general population evacuation center. Transportation will be offered at designated rally points throughout the county.
If you cannot drive to a rally point:
- Complete theonline registration form,NOW.
- The form will include guidance for those who cannot drive or walk to a designated rally point.
- Rally points may change depending on the severity of a storm.
- Residents who pre-register will receive an automated telephone message with information about the location of rally points and when they will be picked up.
- Rally point locations can be found on Transportation Plan page.
What to bring to a shelter
In addition to your emergency supplies(food, water, medicine, flashlights, batteries, first aid kit, etc.), the following are good items to bring with you if you must evacuate to a shelter:
- Pillows, blankets, sleeping bags or air mattresses
- Extra clothing, shoes, eyeglasses, hearing aids (and batteries), etc.
- Personal toiletries, towels
- Folding chairs, lawn chairs or cots Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
- Quiet games, books, playing cards and favorite toys for children
- Important papers and irreplaceable keepsakes (driver’s license, special medical information, insurance policies and property inventories, photographs)
PET SHELTER REQUIREMENTS
Pet sheltering requirements and rules are important during disaster situations. Your cooperation in making a pet friendly shelter environment enjoyable is appreciated.
- Pet(s) must arrive with a carrier or cage. Cages will not be available on site.
- Pet(s) must remain in carrier (except at scheduled exercise times).
- Owners must provide pet food and other pet supplies as needed.
- Owners must provide certification that pet(s) are current with rabies vaccination
- Owners will not permit other shelter occupants to handle or approach pet(s).
- Owners are responsible for the care, feeding and handling of their own pet(s).
PET SURVIVAL KIT FOR PET-FRIENDLY SHELTERS
- Proper ID collar and rabies license tag
- Carrier or cage
- Water and food bowls
- Food supply to last about three days
- Special care instructions
- Newspapers/plastic bags for waste disposal
- Toys and comfort items
- Muzzles, if necessary
- First aid supplies
- Manual can opener
- Proper ID on all belongings