Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to
learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project: Crews
continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
- Crews are expected to work Saturday. Expect construction equipment and noise at 10th Street and 14th Street. The majority of the work is expected to occur at 10th Street.
- Temporary single lane closures may occur between 9th Street and 15th Street from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. if nighttime activities are scheduled.
- Installation of roadway base is expected on the west side of US 41. Expect noise from heavy machinery, dust and dump trucks moving in and out of traffic. Use extreme caution.
- Curb installation is expected on the west side of US 41 from 14th Street to the boat ramp. Expect heavy equipment and concrete trucks going in and out of traffic.
- Work on the permanent driveway for Centennial Park boat ramp off US 41. Driveway will always be accessible, but expect restricted areas while crews are working. Please pay close attention to flaggers and barricades in the area.
- Installation of drainage structures and storm pipe at the southwest corner of 10th Street and US 41. Expect construction vehicles with material crossing 10th Street throughout the day.
- Crews are expected to work on the box culvert at 10th Street. Expect loud noise from demolition equipment and concrete saws. Pumps will be running 24/7 bypassing the box culvert into the bay. Use caution at the intersection of 10th Street during a heavy storm event as there is a possibility of some street flooding.
- New temporary entrance to the Municipal Auditorium is in place and open for traffic. Please exercise caution in the area and watch out for heavy equipment and workers in the area.
- Drainage structure and pipe installation along the west side of US 41 at the SW corner of 10th Street. Expect heavy equipment and trucks moving in and out of the travel lanes and parking lot for the Municipal Auditorium. Motorists are urged to use caution in the area.
- Light pole base foundations and preparation for sidewalks and driveways and road base at the northeast corner of 14th Street and US 41 intersection. Expect heavy equipment, concrete and dump trucks and power tools. Pedestrian paths may also be rearranged to accommodate work in this area.
- West bound 10th Street will have restricted lanes on the east side of US 41, only 2 lanes will be available to make left turns, through traffic and right turns. Crews will be preparing to pave this area with asphalt. Motorists are urged to use caution in the area and expect heavy equipment and trucks moving in and out of this area.
- Centennial Park Boat Ramp driveway on 10th Street will be closed. Motorists can access the boat ramp via the US 41 entrance. Northbound left turn lane from US 41 into the boat ramp is available.
- Pedestrian paths have been reconfigured around the work zone, please use designated sidewalks and cross walks. No pedestrian access on the west side of US 41 beyond Centennial Park, pedestrians are advised to use the sidewalk on the east side of US 41. Impacts to pedestrian access south of the Centennial Park on the west side of US 41 is expected while the contractor is performing excavation in the area.
- The traffic pattern will be limited to right turn in/out for 11th, 12th and 13th Street. Traveling southbound and northbound direction left turns are not permitted at 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Streets. Motorists are advised to follow the posted signs.
- Temporary detour route in effect. Use Cocoanut Avenue as alternate route to access 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Street. Motorists are advised to follow the posted detour route and seek an alternate route while traveling in this area.
- Activities are subject to change due to adverse weather conditions and other schedule unforeseen problems. Other lane closures not yet scheduled may occur which do not appear on this update.
Speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a 6-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED street lights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is spring 2020. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.