13 police officers have offered tips on how to get out of a speeding ticket. While none of these tips will work 100% of the time, you might want to keep these in mind next time you get pulled over.
1) Don't bribe or flirt. Seriously, it won't help you...and in most cases, it'll just get you into more trouble.
2) Don't be a jerk. This should go without saying, but so many people are rude to cops when they get pulled over, that I'm saying it anyway. If you are rude and visibly ticked off, don't expect the officer to do you any favors. They're just doing their job.
3) Don't be a diva. This applies to women AND men. The officer doesn't care that you were prom queen, or your dad is the local news anchor. Saying things like, "Don't you know who I am?" or "I pay your salary!" just makes them want to write that ticket even more.
4) Don't do anything to make the officer feel unsafe. No sudden movements. Keep your hands visible. Tell the officer you're about the open the glove box to get your registration. That kind of stuff.
5) Politely ask for a warning instead of a ticket. Hey, I know it sounds silly, but you don't get what you don't ask for!
6) This is one of my own personal tips: be funny. Don't cry or tell the officer a sob story; they'll only assume you've done it before and probably won't have any pity on you if they think you're showing crocodile tears. Instead, make a joke. I once got pulled over for speeding and when the officer asked why I was going so fast I said, "This car is like a bicycle; if I go too slow, it'll fall over." He laughed and let me go. Another time, I offered the officer candy. It was mostly a joke, but I couldn't find my insurance card, and asked if he wanted a Mike & Ike while I looked. Again, he laughed, and I didn't get a ticket.
Got any tips you'd like to add?